Sunday, March 2, 2014

OPERATION Eat Everything That's in the Freezer: Getting Creative

THIS woman is on a mission: Last month, I committed to eating everything that's in my freezer before buying more meat (that includes stew meat, deli meats, bacon, sausage, whole chicken, chicken pieces, minced meat, etc), fish, shellfish or frozen veggies or fruits. One time, I served Matt some seriously old trout--it tasted off and we checked my zip-top bag--my handwritten label read Feb 02/13--GROSS!!! and I realized I needed to make a difference. I was packing my freezer like a paranoid survivalist, and food would get tragically wasted if I didn't make a change soon.

And ladies, I am ecstatic to report that I am starting to make huge progress! No more meat left or frozen veggies. I only have fish, some homemade rolls, Matt-friendly ice cream (vegan), 2 bags of frozen blueberries, 2 frozen packs of organic deli meats, and 2 boxes of gluten-free blueberry eggo-waffle style waffles. I'd been stalling on the waffles, because I knew I didn't want a carb and sugary breakfast. But what to do with these waffles?
seeing is believing. 
Yes. I made a breakfast sandwich. I typically love weird textures and medlies of different flavours, but this was...weird. The waffle was too sweet to really work with the ham, tomato and pepper I had stuffed in there--but I am thinking this sandwich might be fanTASTIC as a sweet grilled ham 'n' cheese. I am currently trying to avoid dairy, but it seems like my body is happily tolerating goat milk with little to no discomfort! I've found spreadable goat cheese to be hard to digest, so I don't really understand why that's happening. I thought people could tolerate cheeses better than they could tolerate milk, so that's a big question mark for me. 

Are you guys facing a similar dilemma? Do you worry about freezer-burnt foods and potential waste? 

1 comment: