Tuesday, November 8, 2011

greens, glorious greens

I grew up on the very tender greens, edible raw - lettuce and spinach. This is what I thought people meant when they said, "Eat your leafy greens". This summer's produce basket has opened me up to a whole new world - kale, savoy, swiss chard, bok choy, collards - not only can I now identify them, but I can even cook with them! Of course, it took some learning (do I actually remember serving swiss chard with supper raw? Sorry, Tony!), but I think I've made progress.

Last night was collards pan-fried with garlic and ghee, tossed with a bit of tamari and vinegar. This was served alongside enchiladas stuffed with chickpeas and roasted beets, parsnips, and squash (untraditional, I know, but spiced the traditional way, more or less - salt, cumin, coriander, oregano). The sweetness of the vegetables with the spiciness of the salsa was actually very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment